Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Every time I make this recipe I fall in love with it again. It is easy and so delicious. It is certainly not the normal (red) sweet and sour chicken that most of us are used to. Try it and let me know if you love it too!

1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks
1 ½ green bell peppers, diced
1 c. chopped celery
1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. vinegar
¾ c. brown sugar
¼ c. flour
1 1/2 lb. cooked chicken, cut into strips

Drain pineapple and reserve juice. In a large saucepan over medium low heat, blend reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar. Mix in flour and stir until thickened. Stir in bell peppers, celery, and drained water chestnuts into the saucepan. Mix in chicken. Cook and stir until heated through. Stir in the pineapple chunks before serving.

*This time when I made this recipe I added about 1/2 cup of grated carrot. I really liked that and will probably make it again that way.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hee hee, I just made this Tuesday! It was really good and everyone at my house ate it, which is VERY unusual! Thanks soooo much for the recipe, it was great :0)

BbChoy said...

this looks yammy