Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fry Bread Tacos

Holy Crizzap! We had an awesome dinner last night. I tried two new recipes and both were so fabulous that I had to share. Chad's exact words were "I am blown away at how good this is." That was after his "this dinner looks like it is going to be interesting" comment.

I cannot remember a time in our marriage that I have fried anything, so I was nervous about that part. It was not hard at all. I also did not have a thermometer to tell me what temperature the oil was, but I just threw tiny pieces of dough into the oil until it looked like it was working. The fry bread is similar to a scone, but not sweet.

Don't waste any time, try it today. Seriously.


TOPPINGS:
1 pound ground beef
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can refried beans, heated
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup picante sauce

FRY BREAD:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
4 cups oil for frying, or as needed

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef with taco seasoning mix according to seasoning mix package directions. Cover, and keep warm while you prepare the fry bread.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, and mix until the dough comes together. Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough. On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.

Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep. Break off 3/4 cup sized pieces of dough (to make 6 pieces), and shape into round discs 1/4 inch in thickness, making a thinner depressed area in the center. Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once. Drain on paper towels.

Top fry bread with beans, ground beef, lettuce and cheese. Spoon picante sauce over. You can also top with other of your favorite taco toppings, such as onion, sour cream or guacamole.

2 comments:

Heather said...

We have this all the time at our house. Yummy! But I simplify it by just taking some Rhodes rolls out of the freezer and into a plastic ziploc for a few hours until they are soft and pliable. Then I just stretch them into flat, round shapes and drop them in the oil. Voila!

jay and holl said...

this is one of my moms favorites she calls them navajo tacos. good wiht chilli on top too. I hate when i hear the word interesting when i am working hard on something. Jason does it all the time to me.