Thursday, January 15, 2009

Poppy Seed Salad

A couple of years ago a good friend brought this salad to a party. I loved it and immediately got the recipe. It sat in my recipe book all of this time and I had kind of forgotten about it.
This past week we were invited to a birthday party and asked to bring a salad. I started skimming through my recipe book and ran across this one. Remembering how amazing it was, this is what I chose. It got rave reviews at the party and I loved it more than I even remembered so I had to share it. Thanks for the recipe Shandell!


Dressing:
¾ c. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. fresh onion juice
1 c. oil
1 ½ Tbsp. poppy seeds

Salad:
1 bag or 1 head torn Romaine lettuce
1 lb. bow tie pasta
1 jar artichoke hearts in juice
1 can large olives
1 tomato
1 jar baby corn, optional
fresh mushrooms, optional


Combine sugar, mustard, salt, vinegar and onion juice. Beat in oil. Slowly beat in poppy seeds. Cook pasta according to directions on package, drain and let cool. Add all ingredients in a bowl. Add dressing right before serving.

Tips from Shandell:
*Make the dressing the night before, allowing the flavors to mix together, and it tastes a lot better.
*Always use fresh onion juice; it does not taste the same without it. To make onion juice, grate an onion on the smallest side of a grater.
*Add a little bit of the dressing to the pasta while cooling to prevent it from sticking together.

10 comments:

nicole said...

Where in the world would you get onion juice from? Does it come in a jar like lemon juice? Salad sounds delicous though!

jay and holl said...

last year i made a face for everyone in our family with play- dough. jason, me , mic and dee.

Erica Williams said...

Nicole-
I can't get into your blog to answer your question, so hopefully you check here. In the notes at the bottom, it tells you to grate an onion on the smallest side of the grater. That is what I did and it worked perfect! Add me to your private blog :)

Jen said...

Oh YUM!! I can't wait to try this. Just curious...how much onion did you have to grate?

Sarah Jean said...

Sounds wonderful - I am definately going to try it.

Erica Williams said...

Jen-
Not very much at all. Probably 1/4 of an onion.

Shandell said...

I don't think there is anything better than sharing a fabulous recipe!!
Everyone will love it!!

Amber! said...

Hey, I have been meaning to ask you for awhile.....
Linda and I are in a play group that meets on Fridays. Would you like to join up? We would love to have you!
This Friday we are meeting at 12 to go swimming!

amelia said...

That looks divine! I'll have to try that one! Thanks again for Sabrina's darling haircut! It looks SO good!
Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

I love it when you post recipes! Thanks for sharing:) You should check out my friend's blog-she just posted a really yummy looking recipe you might like. Go to my blog and click on The Wakefield Family