To My Dear Family and Friends,
You may remember me mentioning a few months back about my very talented photograspher friend, Carrie Butler, and her little brother Brett Fafard. Brett was diagnosed with STAGE 3 testicular cancer in June of last year. He has since undergone surgery and six rounds of chemotherapy. Unfortunately this fall, his doctor found residual cancer and has decided that the next step is salvage chemotherapy, which will come in the form of back to back stem cell transplants. His doctor has said that while he has a negligible chance of beating the cancer without these transplants, his chances increase to 70% if he has the transplants.
While Brett was very blessed to learn that he was approved for a primary insurance with medicaid as a backup, his primary insurance company has denied the first request for the procedure. Medicaid has agreed to move forward with the first transplant but is declining to provide the second. While one transplant is better then none, the Doctor feels that in order for Brett to be cancer free and return to leading a healthy life that he must have both transplants.
Carrie and her husband, Mike have been doing everything they can to help Brett with all of his medical expenses. But the fact of the matter is, they have a family of their own to take care of and they simply cannot come up with this money all by themselves and in the short amount of time they have left until Brett needs his second transplant. Brett has just begun his first transplant this week, and with your help, he will be finishing his last treatment at the end of March. There are a couple of ways that you can help...
1. There is a paypal account set up at http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FSave-Brett%2F258561409913%3Fref%3Dsearch%26sid%3D607896555.2896082454..1&h=1d9433b19c8cff1caf8b1ad50f9dcb74 where donations can be made. If they could get 120,000 people to donate just one dollar, then they will have made their goal!!
2. Come eat at the Taylorsville Souper Salad on February 19th. Carrie, and her family and friends, will be there clearing tables and filling drinks, a portion of the proceeds and tips earned that night will go to help Save Brett!!!
3. Carrie is organizing a "Fafard 5k" to help raise money for Brett. It will take place on February 27th at the Riverwoods in Provo. It is $20.00 a person. Register at www.fafard5k.com. There is going to be live music, cookies and fun! They need to get a head count so if you would like to come but can't yet register, please shoot Carrie a message or email at email@example.com. I know a lot of you out there are runners or else know of people who are so please join us in this race! It is for such a good cause.
* Chad and Jack will be running the 5k and would love it if there are other Father/Son or Daughter pairs out there to run with them. I am not a runner in the least, but am planning on walking it... It's only 3 miles or so... I should be able to handle it, right? Will any of you walk with me?
4. Pass this message on to all of your family and friends! I'm sure there are many out there who would love to get involved.
Thank you so much for your support! Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated.